Canada’s pro soccer landscape has changed as the nation’s capital is now without a team.

The Ottawa Fury announced on Friday that they have suspended operations, saying they have not been able to obtain required sanctioning from governing bodies to continue play in the American-based United Soccer League.

"How could this team be suspending operations? Politics, of course," said team president John Pugh of the Ottawa Sports and Entertainment Group (OSEG), which owns the franchise.

"We needed to be sanctioned and that did not come. They knew our deadlines. They knew the deadlines we had been given by our league."

It is just another day in the Ottawa sports landscape which has been rocky as of late.

OSEC, which also owns the CFL’s Redblacks and Ontario Hockey League’s 67’s, fired the Redblacks head coach Rick Campbell earlier in the week after the team finished dead last in the CFL.

Over the last few years the NHL’s Ottawa Senators have found themselves sitting near the bottom of the league standings and have endure multiple on and off-ice controversies while the minor-league baseball team, Ottawa Champions’ currently are without a league to be a part of after the Can-Am league merged with the independent Frontier League. While the Frontier League absorbed five of the Can-Am League teams, Ottawa was not one of them.

The Fury submitted a multi-year sanctioning application to Canada Soccer back in April. That request was not approved, but the club said it received confirmation of a one-year sanction for 2020.

However, the team says that US Soccer and CONCACAF, which governs the sport in North and Central American as well as the Caribbean, had bot provided sanctioning prior to a November 1 deadline so that the Fury could be part of the 2020 USL campaign.

Canada Soccer, in a statement, said it is "extremely disappointed" the Fury are suspending operations. The group said it was working with CONCACAF and US Soccer as recently as Thursday to facilitate a decision being made by the other two governing bodies.

OSEG has maintained the men’s pro soccer squad since 2014 which started play in the North American Soccer League and then joined the USL in 2017.

The Fury faced a battle late last year to get sanctioned by CONCACAF to play in the USL this past season.

CONCACAF has balked at giving the green light to the Ottawa franchise to play in the US league since the Canadian Premier League started play during 2019. They did change their tune after the Fury went to the Court of Arbitration for Sport to gain some help.

While they were expected to be the eighth franchise in the CPL, Ottawa said last September that they planned to stick with the tried and tested USL at least for the 2019 season while still supporting the idea of the new Canadian league.

The largest impact with the ceasing of operations by the Fury is on OSEG’s credibility after they invested $15 million in soccer since 2014. Also, it is unknown how it will impact the kids that caught on to the sport after watching their own pro team play for so long.

While they may want to make the move to the CPL on their terms, if they want to keep the team going, it would be in their best interests to make the move now rather than later.